About Me

Twin Falls, Idaho
I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids. Two of which I got through IVF. The third one just a miracle! We're trying for a fourth with one miscarriage since our third. I've had 3 miscarriage and one ectopic pregnancy. Did 3 rounds of IUI's and then 2 rounds of IVF's. Been through a lot and wanted a place where we could all talk about it. Share you're stories with me, jldxango@hotmial.com.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

update on Emily

Hi Jana! I thought I'd send a little update and question for Fertility Stumpers:

Hi everyone! I don't have any exciting news to report, but I thought I'd write a little update on myself anyway. We are still trying for baby #2 (took 4.5 years to get #1 and we've been trying for #2 for a little over 1 year).

A friend of mine has loaned me her Clearblue Easy Fertility Monitor. She has loaned it out to about 10 friends in the last 2 years and they have all gotten pregnant (or so the story goes). So we're going to give it a try. The stats are encouraging, but we're good at not getting our hopes up by now. They do say it's "in the water" here in our new neighborhood, but that doesn't usually apply to us.

In the meantime, I love being a mama to my 2-year-old, Charlie. He's so much fun and such a blessing. It's kind of amazing to me that I feel like it's kind of okay if we never have any more kids because he has made our family complete. We HOPE to have more, a few more even, but if we don't we will be really happy with this little family.
Oh yeah... I thought I should mention that the Clearblue Easy Monitor says that it should only be used by one woman because the monitor "learns" one woman and it will take months to readjust to another woman's cycle. But I found instructions online to reset it (it doesn't come with these instructions), so if anyone else borrows one, google that or ask me and I'll share it with you. They're about $160, so it saves a lot to borrow one if you can.

And one more thing. I was talking to some girls last night about fertility stuff, and they said there is a women's clinic here (northern Utah) that will do IUI's for $100. That seems too good to be true, but I've never done that before, so I don't really know. How much does that usually cost? It also sounds like they do IUI's for whoever wants one (I haven't actually talked to the clinic, that's just the impression I got from the conversation). So I would love to hear from anyone who knows more about IUI.

That's all from me! Hope everyone is doing well.

-Emily

9 comments:

Jana Dille said...

That's good info on the fertility monitor. You definitely need to look into that IUI for $100. When it was all said and done it cost us between $1000 and $1500. We did 4 of them!

Emily said...

Did it cost that much each time or all together? That's expensive! But that's more what I would expect it to be. My husband is a little leary of going somewhere where they will do it so cheap. He wants to make sure those are HIS soldiers! :)

Thanks for posting this for me.

Unknown said...

I would love the info on how to reset the monitor. A friend of mine gave hers to me, she had 2 kids using IUI, and IVF and is done. But wasn't sure how to get it to reset. Please share :)...

I hope that your journey for #2 is successful. We've been trying for #2 for over a year as well... I finally have an appointment with the doctor on Tuesday to diagnose possible PCOS. Good luck!!! Infertility SUCKS!!!

Jana Dille said...

I'd have to look again for sure, but I swear it was about $5,000 total after all the blood work, etc, etc. Maybe it's been too long to remember, I'll find out. Can you imagine getting the wrong swimmers! Oh man!

Emily said...

Here are the directions I found to reset the monitor. I haven't tried it yet, but the comments posted on this board indicated that this works:

Please read all instructions over before attempting to re-set the monitor!

1. With the monitor OFF, place a clean unused test stick with the cap on (remove plastic cap from one end and snap it onto the other end of stick) in the test stick slot of the monitor.

2. *Make sure it snaps in.*

3. Press and hold the "m" button. Continue pressing the "m" button while turning the monitor ON.

(NOTE: Do not take finger off "m" button until these directions say to do so.)
4. It will show you the "remove the test stick" sign. (a flashing test stick with an arrow pointing right) Continue pressing "m".

5. Keep pressing the "m" button and in about 20 seconds, you will see a screen full of symbols. The screen will look as if it is going crazy and will be full of pics.

6. Remove the test stick first and then QUICKLY release your finger from the "m" button. All of the memory should be wiped out.

7. Your screen should display a flashing "m" and one or two dashes. If it does not, it will probably show a "1" and a non-flashing "m". If it does, then you need to repeat the process so it shows the flashing "m" and dashes.

8. Start using the monitor on CD 1 as per the instruction booklet.

Laura said...

I know it didn't cost us too much for the actual IUI itself -- the costly thing was the injectable medication. I think it was more than $100 but definitely less than $1000 for the procedure. The meds are where they get ya!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the instructions!!! I will have to give it a try!

Chantel said...

I am new to this blog (found it through a friend) We are currently living in Missouri, but did our IUI in Northern Utah to get pregnant with our daughter. I would love to talk more about it if you would like. My email is chantel(dot)labrum(at)gmail(dot)com

We had a doctor we LOVED and I think they charged between $100- $200

PML said...

Hey, I found this great link about Infertility Etiquette. I learned a ton from it, and thought you may want to post it to your blog for others to see. Thanks.

http://www.resolve.org/site/PageServer?pagename=lrn_ffaf_ie