About Me

Twin Falls, Idaho
I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids. Two of which I got through IVF. The third one just a miracle! We're trying for a fourth with one miscarriage since our third. I've had 3 miscarriage and one ectopic pregnancy. Did 3 rounds of IUI's and then 2 rounds of IVF's. Been through a lot and wanted a place where we could all talk about it. Share you're stories with me, jldxango@hotmial.com.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

What's an IUI?

You girls are great!! Thanks so much for being there
for me -- I know this sounds silly, but just knowing
there are others out there like me that are thinking
of me and praying for me really helps, especially in
these 'trying times'. Jana suggested I describe an IUI
for those that may not know about it. It stands for
Intrauterine insemination. In my first IUI (Cycle 3
-- I'm on #5 now), I did shots of Menopur (FSH or
follicle stimulating hormone) for about 5 days, I think
that was what the protocol was anyway. Then I had the
follicle check ultrasound on Day 9. They told me I had
one follicle that was big enough and that I was supposed
to use an ovulation predictor kit to check for ovulation.
If it didn't happen by a certain time that they told me,
I was supposed to do a 'trigger' shot with hCG. This
would trigger ovulation in about 36 hours, which is when
my appointment was. We drove up to Boise and then my
husband and I were directed into a room that reminded
me a lot of regular check-up rooms like are used for pap
smears. I undressed from the waist down and covered
with a cloth. Then the nurse came in with the sperm,
which had been washed, and told me the sperm count.
I can't remember exactly what it was but they said it
was pretty good. Anyway, it's in a syringe with a catheter
on the end. (See the picture for what it looks like)

The IUI was much like a pap smear -- they inserted
the speculum and threaded the syringe into the uterus.
Before I knew it, I was done. So I sat up! She told me
to lay back down and to just relax for about 15 minutes.
After that, I went home and had to wait a dreadful two
weeks until I could go to the hospital for a blood test
that would determine if I was pregnant or not. I tried
to do everything I could to remain calm and not stress
about it...yeah, that is probably the hardest part. :)
Anyway the blood test came and then I found out I
wasn't pregnant...which brings us to today! I had a
follicle reduction yesterday right before the IUI. They
gave me several pills and a shot to make me calm and
woozy, and they worked right away! Then they inserted
the speculum and put a needle through the vaginal wall
- it feels like a pinch, well a little more than a pinch, but
not too horrible. The doctor was only going to leave 2
follicles but I asked her to leave 3. Am I crazy??? She
said it wouldn't increase the chance of pregnancy, just
the chance of multiples. I told her that was fine. :) Then
she did the IUI and I was done. We were in and out of
the office in an hour. The drugs made me so tired I slept
all the way home. So now we're in our two week wait....
my blood test is October 10th to check for pregnancy!!
And to answer your question Amy, we are seeing Dr.
Slater and we love her too! The whole staff there is great
-- so many of them have gone WAY out of their way to
help us and comfort us and it is so great. I am glad you
had success with her -- it gives me lots of hope! Oh, and
one other thing -- I'm also trying acupuncture now. I've
heard it helps, and right now I'm so desperate I'll try
ALMOST anything. I would be interested to hear if anyone
has tried that. And anyone who hasn't sent in their story,
please do!! I would love to hear about your experiences.
Laura

2 comments:

Jana Dille said...

Thanks for explaining! I saw Slater too. GOOD LUCK!!:)

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing! I still am a little unsure about follicles and follicle reductions.

I hope this is it! I'll be anxious to hear when you find out.